Shipley’s TV Sales & Service has been serving customers for over a century.
In 1897 Harry F. Shipley and G.S.C. Bopst entered into a partnership to start a general merchandise business. After several changes in location and ownership, that business is today operating as Shipley’s TV Sales and Service.
Two of Mr. Shipley’s sons were involved in the business and it was sold to the younger of the sons, Dorsey Shipley, in 1943. The store then sold radios, housewares toys, office and school supplies and sporting goods.
When Dorsey Shipley died in 1958, four partners, Earl “Buzz” Kolb, Clark Sheetenhelm, George Blumenauer and Robert Marendt purchased the business and continued the same type of merchandise sales. Mr. Marendt bought out the other three partners and assumed full ownership in 1969 of Shipley’s Inc.
Mt. Marendt eliminated some lines of merchandise to concentrate on athletic equipment and home electronics. Sporting goods stores were opened in Hagerstown and Cumberland and the main store in downtown Frederick was relocated to Frederick Towne Mall in 1972.
The company eventually operated five stores and the sporting goods business was one of the largest in the region, serving more than 300 high schools and colleges, as well as hundreds of youth and adult sports programs in six states.
In 1985 the sporting goods operations was sold and Mr. Marendt continued to operate the home electronics business which became known as Shipley’s TV & Audio.
The company had to relocate in July 1996 from the mall to make room for an expanding existing business. The business moved to 45L Waverley Drive in the Waverley Center.
Although the newest location was smaller and the business had to eliminate some lines, Shipley’s continues to sell TV’s, stereo equipment, DVD & Blu-Ray players, CD players, accessories and more.
While few stores which sell electronics have their own service departments, Shipley’s has continued to hold an outstanding reputation for service among its customers.
Mr. Marendt said that during the company’s over 100 years of service there have been many outstanding employees at the business. Donald Lawson was the store’s general manager and worked there for 44 years until his death in 1993.
Mr. Lawson’s brother, Carlton, who came to work at the business in 1953, continues to work in the service department. A sister, Barbara Lawson joined the business in 1955 and is now vice-president. Marshall Carpenter, president, has been with the business 37 years.
We appreciate all of our past and future customers. If it were not for them, we wouldn’t be here today.
Have a Question about our TV Sales & Services? Contact Us